Parent Category: Common Comments
A declarative sentence that makes a statement ends with a period.
- The instructor sent an email to her students to ask them to participate in a mid-semester survey.
- An interrogative sentence that asks a question ends with a question mark.
- Where is the nearest recycling bin for paper?
- An imperative sentence that issues a command may end with a period or exclamation point.
- Get up and take a break from staring at the computer screen.
- Look out for the ice!
- An exclamatory sentence that expresses strong emotion ends with an exclamation point.
- I can’t wait to get home for spring break!
- An interjection that expresses strong emotion may be followed by an exclamation point even though it is not a complete sentence.
- Oh no! I left my paper on my desk in my dorm room.