Since joining the faculty at the University of South Florida in 1984, Joseph M. Moxley has published 17 books and numerous articles on assessment, writing pedagogy, peer production and participatory learning, open education, scholarly publishing, electronic theses and dissertations, research methods, learning communities, ethnography, datagogies, response to writing, and tools for writers. He has received over $1.5M in funding from NSF (National and FIPSE (Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education). He directed the First-Year Composition Program at USF from 2003 to 2018.
Moxley is the Founder of
- Writing Commons, an open-education resource for writers;
- Writing Analytics, an annual academic conference;
- My Reviewers, a software application; and
- The Journal of Writing Analytics, a journal published by the Colorado State University Press.
- Computers and Composition Distinguished Book Award for College Writing Online (2004) .
- Teaching and Learning Innovator Award from Campus Technology for founding My Reviewers.
- Microsoft Scholar Gift Award, 2000. ($100,000).
- Writing Program Certificate of Excellence Award, a national award from College Composition and Communication.
- USF Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award (1990, 1993, 1996)
- Publish, Don’t Perish was translated in Chinese.
- The Guide for Electronic Theses and Dissertations was translated in Greek, Spanish, French.