This course is designed to help undergraduate students improve their workplace and technical writing communication skills. The course is an introduction to
- workplace writing genres (e.g., memos, proposals, recommendation reports, and infographics).
- visual literacy, visual rhetoric, and principles of design.
- the techniques and types of professional and technical writing, including correspondence and reports. It is designed to help strengthen skills of effective business and professional communication in both oral and written modes.
Coursework involves three major projects along with a final course reflection. These projects include collaborative work, peer editing, and several multi-part assignments.
- Revise, Redesign, Edit: Tailoring Documents for Audiences
- Extended Group Project: Consulting Simulation
- Final Reflection
How to Succeed in this Course
Learning to write well takes practice and effort. Attending class, listening to feedback (from me and peers), and putting the time in is essential to your development as a writer. Academic credit is a measure of the time commitment required of a typical student in a specific course. The anticipated time commitment for this course is 3 hours of work per week for each credit hour (a minimum of 9 hours per week). Students can expect your weekly time commitment to be:
- Class time (lecture, discussion, activities) 3 hrs/week
- Reading 2 hrs/week
- Homework and take-home assignments .5 hrs/week
- Formal and informal writing and research activities 3.5 hrs/week
- Total hours 9 hrs./week
|Assignment||Deliverables||Time on Task||Points||Percent of Overall Grade|
|Project 1||3 original texts||3 weeks||100||20%|
|Project 2||9 texts||8 weeks||200||40%|
|Project 3||2 texts||2 weeks||100||20%|
|Project 4:||1 text||2 weeks||100||20%|
|Week||Assignments & Due Dates|
|Week 1||Project 1, Milestone 1: Rhetorical Analysis Memo|
|Week 3||Project 1, Milestone 2: Revise, Redesign, Edit: Tailoring Documents for Audiences|
|Week 4||Project 2, Milestone 1: Problem-Definition Template|
|Week 5||Project 2, Milestone 2: Client Proposal|
|Week 6||Project 2, Milestone 3: Team Charter|
|Week 7||Project 2, Milestone 4: Project Management Portfolio|
|Week 8||Project 2, Milestone 5: Group Research Proposal|
|Week 9||Project 2, Milestone 6: Research Notes|
|Week 10||Project 2, Milestone 7: Visual Progress Report|
|Week 11||Project 2, Milestone 7: Final Recommendation Report|
Project 2, Milestone 8: Reflection Memo.
|Week 13||Project 3: Infographic and memo report due|
|Week 15||Project 4: Final Course Reflection Memo|