- is an academic field of study that explores the philosophy of conducting research.
- is a process of being reflective and critical about how qualitative, quantitative, and textual data is collected, measured, interpreted in and used to contribute to knowledge or make a knowledge claim.
Whereas Research Methods concerns the tools and techniques for gathering information (data collection) and analyzing information (data analysis), Research Methodologies concern assumptions about
- what constitutes knowledge?
- what are differences across methodological communities regarding what constitutes a valid knowledge claim?
- what is the relationship between Research Methods and epistemology?
Research Methodologies is an academic discipline
is a robust topic across methodological communities regarding methods for
Research Methodologies questions
- what epistemological assumptions are associated with particular research methods?
- is quantitative research invariably postivistic?
- is qualitative research invariably postpostivistic?
Research Methodologies are a rhetorical construct: Different Methodological Communities have unique methods and a rhetorical process. as opposed to methodology as technique, a number of tools.
Research Methodologies is concerned with
as opposed to learning research tools and techniques.
Researchers, Methodological Communities, hold assumptions
who employ methods understand how to use specific tools
Research Methodologies concerns the process of being reflective about research methods.
Researchers engage in research methodologies
a topic of interest to
- What are the assumptions of assocaited with method?
- Is there a new way t
- a phrase used by investigators to describe efforts
what assumptions were built into how
and what those methods are purported to mean
are tied to particular epistemological positions
intellectual practices of
- reflecting on the epistemological assumptions that informed why you chose to use or not lose particular research methods
- reflecting on the affordances and constraints of particular research methods
If Research Methods are considered to be the tools at the disposal of the investigator, the Research Methodoloiges are
shaped by different epistemological assumptions— i.e., different assumptions about what constitutes knowledge.
- For instance, the natural sciences is chiefly ascribes to positivism whereas the humanities to postpositivism
Research Methods & Epistemology
Research Methods are a way of seeing and a way of not seeing in the world. Methods presume a particular world view–a theory of knowledge, an Epistemology.
Researchers in workplace and academic settings have diverse and sometimes opposing ways of researching and making knowledge claims. In general,